Topaz and citrine are November’s birthstones.
Topaz has always been associated with a golden yellow color, however it does come in other colors. There are three different blues (Swiss, London, and Sky) that topaz comes in as well as reds, pinks, oranges, browns, greens, and colorless. Most topaz is treated by either heat or irradiation to obtain its color and these treatments are permanent and usually undetectable. It is also common to come across topaz that has been treated with a coating that gives off very unique colors, this treatment can wear off over time.
Popular trade names:
Imperial Topaz: reddish-orange, to orange-red color
Precious Topaz: orange-yellow, and brown topaz
Swiss Blue Topaz: bright, sky blue
London Blue Topaz: darker blue, some hints of green
Sky Blue: pale, light blue
Most fine-quality topaz comes from the Ouro Preto area of Brazil, but Pakistan also supplies fine, natural pink to red topaz. Brazil and Sri Lanka are also very important sources for commercial, treatable topaz. Then we have Australia, Mexico, Madagascar, Myanmar, the United States, Namibia, and Nigeria as sources as well, but not as significant.
- Mohs Scale: 8
- Mineral: Topaz
- Imperial topaz is the 23rd wedding anniversary
- Blue topaz is the 4th wedding anniversary and also sometimes used as a December birthstone
- Blue colors of topaz are the result of irradiation
- It is believed that if topaz is worn it will give its wearer strength
- It is also believed that topaz can break magic spells
Citrine is the other birthstone of November. This stone ranges in color from pale-yellow to a deep golden color. These colors in nature are actually very rare and most of the citrine in the market is the result of heat treatment.
Most citrine comes from Brazil, and again is the result of treating amethyst, however there are a few places that produce natural citrine: Bolivia, Spain, Madagascar, Mexico, and Uruguay.
- Mohs Scale: 7
- Mineral: Quartz
- 13th wedding anniversary
- Most citrine on the market is a result of heating pale purple amethyst
- Citrine is thought to calm anger
- Iron causes citrines color